Don't be afraid to add us and leave some comments =)
ttt

Saturday, September 4, 2010

Tot and Pre-K Calendars

One of the first things I made when deciding to Homeschool was the calendar. The calendar is important b/c each day it is the first thing we do in class. The calendar isn't just for the little ones. Once they understand the concept you can add more things depending on the age.

Every morning we have Circle Time. As soon as the kids go in the room they sit down on the carpet and we go through our calendar board before starting class. My daughter is 2 1/2 and after 1 week, she understood how it worked. Being consistent is IMPORTANT. Just last week I was being lazy and I forgot to say the month and she walked up, pointed and said "August" . It was a proud moment for me.

How you make the calendar (or if you choose to buy one), is up to you on to decide what you want it to have. Is your Preschooler ready for time? Is he/she good with numbers? Will you work on weather?



When I started out this is how my calendar section looked. Everyday I had my daughter place the flower w/ the day on it  and move the object to the correct day. We would then walk to the window to check the weather and she would watch me put it up and tell me what it was.


SEASON,MONTH,AND DAYS

WEATHER


This is the calendar our new calendar. I added a weather chart from Confessions of a Homeschooler so my daughter could do her own weather chart instead of telling and watching me.


Some days we glue on the squares but lately I have been giving her stickers that I bought from the Hobby Lobby

Stickers
Squares that come w/ the printable


I am in no way a professional but I do believe kids learn from HOW they are taught. If you make it fun for them, they will probably pick it up a lot quicker. So from looking at our calendar you can see that it doesn't matter if you have the money for NEW things or if you make them out of what you do have. A calendar is a calendar.

If making one is not for you here is a link to one of my FAV.

No comments: